Update from Terri - Please reply and let her know if you will be coming!
I have received very few replies about the reunion, most of them are not supportive of it this year. But here is the plan I have come up with for anyone who is interested in participating. Although, it is not really a family reunion if there is little participation from family members. I will need some specific responses from people, such as: Yea, see you there, nay, no way, too busy, not interested, no thanks, etc. Now that we are a little more spread out than we used to be, we need these planned reunions to keep in touch.
Thursday evening:
Meet and greet. I will provide ice cream and cookies at the house for everyone.
Friday morning:
Morning fun might include the falls (about 45 minutes away). There is great hiking, many falls, and picnic areas. Many of the falls are easily accessible by car or a short walk, while others are more of a hike.
Another option would be Mount St. Helens. (See website) They have a great museum and viewing house. The cost is minimal. Again, it is about an hour or so north of us. These first two activities may take longer so you would need to start early or do them on Saturday.
Visit Fort Vancouver. Hang out around the house or Vancouver area. I would not advise Portland on a Friday, but to each their own.
Friday afternoon:
An afternoon picnic, around 2:00PM (sub sandwiches, chips, soda, etc.) will be held at Klineline Park (about a mile from our house). It is a nice grassy picnic area, playground, and lake for the kids to swim. Last year it was $2.00 a car to park unless you park at the field and walk in like we usually do.
Saturday:
Free day to explore or hang around and visit. My house and backyard is always open. There are a few pools very close, mall, etc. or you can venture down into Portland.
The Portland Temple is beautiful. Portland has a Farmer's Street Market that is fun. Any activities that I mentioned above would be fun.
Saturday evening:
We could meet in the evening after everyone has their fun day and play games if people are interested.
Sunday:
Breakfast at our house around 9:00. Bagels, muffins, fruit, juice, etc. Or we can do lunch after church since it would be fast Sunday and some hotels provide breakfast, but I thought people might want to get on their way home. Or we could just stay for Sacrament meeting and eat around 12:30.
Church is at 11:00.
With your contributions, I would be happy to buy food for the Friday evening picnic and Sunday morning breakfast or lunch whatever we decide. I am thinking that about $5.00 a person over 5 years old, would cover those two meals, or it could be a bring your own. I would like to keep this simple and yet easy for everyone. I am open to suggestions.
Things to do:
Fort Vancouver—www.nps.gov/fova
Portland Zoo—www.oregonzoo.org
Oaks Park—oakspark.com
Columbia River Gorge and Waterfalls—http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/forest
Mt. St. Helens—http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/
There are other things to do. Portland is a great city to investigate with gardens, zoos, shopping, etc. Vancouver is also fun but on a smaller scale than Portland. Fort Vancouver (the reserve) and old town shopping downtown, shopping mall, pools and parks will be found in Vancouver.
Places to stay within a couple miles of our house:
Days Inn—Salmon Creek, Vancouver--360-574-6000
Shilo Inn—Salmon Creek,Vancouver--360-573-0511
Holiday Inn Express—Salmon Creek, Vancouver--888-897-0084
La Quinta Inn and Suites—Salmon Creek,Vancouver--360-566-1100
Quality Inn—Hazel Dell, Vancouver, 360-696-0516
There are other hotels by the mall or the airport. The ones I listed are those within a few miles of our house.
April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment